Day 63 – 118 miles to Lee Vining, California


It’s time to leave South Lake Tahoe.  We made pancakes for breakfast and said goodbye to the beautiful view of the lake.  We are 7 days away from reaching San Francisco, so I’ve dedicated today to our team.  We’ve been through so much together so this last week is in celebration of our journey and each other.  I also dedicated today to Lauren’s Aunt Cathy, who passed away from cancer earlier this year.

We traveled back up to the mountain peak, then back down what climbed two days ago.  It was both bittersweet and fun.  We’re essentially backtracking what we spent so much energy climbing, but it was a ton of fun to fly down with gorgeous views.  We stopped at Starbucks for about 30 minutes, already behind schedule from leaving late.  But the iced mocha was worth it.  Thanks Aunt Sheila and Uncle Al for the giftcard!  After Starbucks, I got a flat tire, so we were even further behind.  Whatever.

At mile 40, we reached the California border!  We’re in our end state!  While the sign was a little less than dramatic or monumental, we stopped for a good while taking pictures.  I am now in my home state and don’t plan on leaving any time soon.

The rest of the day was a struggle since I didn’t eat much yesterday.  I had no energy and my body was physically exhausted.  I wanted to give up so badly and shuttling the rest of the day.  But my mother never gave up her fight so I decided to fight through it.  At lunch, I ate a ton: turkey sandwich, shotblocks, a banana, and a protein bar.  My team made sure I was okay to keep going and gave me lots of encouragement.  I shed some tears out of frustration but pushed through it.  We had three more passes to climb in the unbearable heat.  Lauren and I stayed together, getting through it with stupid motivational quotes and pretending we were going to Miley Cyrus’ concert that night (I had tickets to Miley’s concert in April, which got postponed until August 2nd, so Philly will be enjoying her tonight while I’m struggling on my bike).  We battled one last climb, reaching 8,000 feet, and then enjoyed a fun descent past Lake Mono to Lee Vining.  We made it in at 7:30 pm.  It was a long day, being 118 miles and 7,500 feet of ascent.

For dinner, we had pad thai, salad, lasagna, brownies, and a cream pie with nuts.  The showers were freezing, so I spent like 4 seconds splashing myself with the awfully cold water.  You’d think we’d be used to it by now.

Right now I’m figuring out future hosts and stressed out.  Tomorrow we’re camping in Yosemite and have three campgrounds that fit 26 people.  We also have to organize all our scented items and food for bear bins.  Nothing can be in our duffels because they will be in the vans over night.

I have to figure all this out, so goodnight!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s